Thursday, January 3, 2013

How To Ward Off Boredom

I have too much free time on my hands. Sounds a little snooty, eh? But I'm not reveling in the beauty of it, in fact I almost can't stand it. After being on winter break for two weeks now, I'm starting to get a little stir crazy - I've run out of things to do! gasp. So what do you do when you've lost all ambition to do anything, and you've run out of ideas to keep you busy? 

1. I've found that the more I think about being bored, the more I am. It's the same with situations that upset you. You're bothered by something but refuse to remove yourself from the situation. Stop thinking about being bored!

2. Get up and do something. I am NOT one to exercise, for me 'doing something' is more along the lines of baking, or window shopping, or just driving around. 

3. Spend some quality time with your hard drive and the trash bin. As weird as it sounds, sometimes I like to throw on a little music, sit down at my computer and go through every file - to keep or to throw?  This helps get rid of 'emotional' or 'abstract' clutter. It's surprisingly helpful!

4. Enjoy a thought-provocking novel, magazine, or movie. I'm a firm believer in a little mindless television as a form of distraction, but when you're down right 'bored' you need something to keep your mind on your toes.



2 comments:

  1. you are so right!
    you've got to stop thinking that you are bored and everything looks good after that! :)
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! I totally agree that when I think I'm bored, I'm actually more bored than if I was not thinking about it ;)

    ReplyDelete